Data security is a multifaceted concept. It is very difficult to protect a business from the entire range of possible encroachments, from large financial losses for various reasons, from clear and hidden threats. Therefore, this article will analyze the best data protection strategies.
The purpose of the data protection strategy
The concept of “information security,” which is widespread in the 21st century, emphasizes the importance of information in modern society and characterizes the fact that an information resource is today the same wealth as production and human resources and also needs to be protected from various kinds of abuse, encroachment, and crime. High importance and constantly developing information technologies, high growth rates of the computer equipment, involvement in the process of information interaction, various types of threats, and possible channels of unauthorized access to information determine the relevance of highlighting data protection strategies.
The complexity and scale of modern information systems for businesses make the process of ensuring their security far from simple; this is what requires the development of a strategy and architecture for managing information and operational risks. In addition, it is necessary to analyze the existing strategy, implement and configure risk management tools, migrate to new information security solutions, and optimize the already implemented protection tools.
The data protection strategy is a long-term, qualitative, definite direction in the development of information protection, relating to the scope, means, and form of its activities, the system of relationships within the organization, as well as the position of the organization in the environment, leading the organization to its goals.
Main tasks of the data protection strategy
Strategic information security planning is understood as the management process of developing specific strategies that contribute to the achievement of the organization’s goals in the field of protecting confidential and commercial information by maintaining a strategic alignment between them, its potentialities, and chances in the field of management. Communication and decision-making processes ensure the interconnection and interdependence of all management functions. It achieves the integrity of the management process, which greatly contributes to its effectiveness.
The data protection strategy should take into account all the current and future functional needs of modern digital systems with maximum accuracy and solve the following tasks:
- ensuring security and countering an attack based on strategy;
- implementation of security measures throughout the network infrastructure, including routers, switches, wireless access points, and storage systems;
- secure management and reporting tools;
- authentication and authorization of users and administrators and access to critical network resources;
- detection of attacks on critical network resources and subnets;
- support for new applications and services.
The best data protection strategies in business
The top of most powerful data protection strategies includes:
- Encryption of information is a type of protection implemented with the help of transformations of information using a special key to hide the content of information, confirming its authenticity, integrity, authorship, etc. Unlike cryptography, which hides the very fact of transmitting a message, encrypted messages are transmitted openly, and their content is hidden.
- Antiviruses are special programs designed to detect and destroy computer viruses. Unfortunately, none of the antivirus programs provide 100% protection, so you should follow the general rules and use the latest developments in antivirus laboratories.
- A virtual data room is a digital platform that combines all basic security measures to ensure a secure data repository and online collaboration during business transactions. The operation of the data room security system is based on the principle of access sharing. This technique allows you to identify users, determine the boundaries of their rights to perform certain actions, and set the level of confidentiality.